Hi there! I am Senior Lecturer (the UK equivalent of an assistant or associate professor) at Oxford Brookes University. I'm conducting research in the areas of developmental robotics and machine learning. Particular interests are the development of goal systems, efficient exploration schemes for sensorimotor coordination (goal babbling), neural networks and models for cross-modal attention (see Research).
- "Online Goal Babbling for rapid bootstrapping of inverse models in high dimensions", IEEE Int. Conf. Development and Learning and on Epigenetic Robotics (Best Student Paper Award), Frankfurt, IEEE, 08/2011. (pdf)
- "Attention via Synchrony: Making Use of multimodal Cues in Social Learning", IEEE Transactions on Autonomous Mental Development 1(1), pp. 55-67, 05/2009. (pdf)
- 2016-: Senior Lecturer at Oxford Brookes University, UK
- 2013-2016: Specially Appointed Researcher and (from 2014) Assistant Professor in the Asada-Lab, Osaka University, Japan
- 2011-2013: Researcher at CoR-Lab, Bielefeld University, Germany
- 2008-2011: PhD Scholarship by CoR-Lab and Honda Research Institute Europe
- 2008-2012: Ph.D. degree in engineering (Dr.-Ing.) in the CoR-Lab, Bielefeld University for my thesis "Goal babbling for an efficient bootstrapping of inverse models in high dimensions", graded "summa cum laude".
- 2010: Visiting research student in the Hosoda Lab, Osaka University, Japan
- 2003-2008: Master degree in computer science (Dipl.-Inform.) in natural science with minor in robotics at the Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University with the thesis "Audiovisual Attention via Synchrony", graded "with distinction".
Award and Honors
- 2014: Dissertation Prize 2013 of the University Society Westphalia-Lippe for my Ph.D. thesis "Goal Babbling for an Efficient Bootstrapping of Inverse Models in High Dimensions"
- 2011: Best Student Paper Award at IEEE ICDL-EpiRob conference for the paper "Online Goal Babbling for rapid bootstrapping of inverse models in high dimensions"
- 2011: Best Presentation Award at New Challenges in Neural Computation (NC2) workshop for the presentation "Online learning in the loop: fast explorative learning of inverse models in high dimensions"
- 2010: Best Paper Award at Int. Symp. Learning and Adaptive Behavior in Robotic Systems (LAB-RS) for the paper "Learning Flexible Full Body Kinematics for Humanoid Tool Use"
- 2008-2011: Scholarship by CoR-Lab and Honda Research Institute Europe for the Ph.D. project "Neural Learning of Flexible Full Body Motion"
- Editorial board member of Frontiers in Robotics and AI
- Publicity co-chair of IEEE ICDL-EpiRob 2015
- Publication co-chair of IEEE ICDL-EpiRob 2013
- Reviewer for journals: IEEE Trans. Autonomous Mental Development, IEEE Trans. Robotics, IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Adaptive Behavior, Cognitive Processing, Mechatronics, Journal of Algorithms
- Reviewer for conferences: ICDL-EpiRob 2014-2011, Humanoids 2014, ICRA 2014, HRI 2013, ICONIP 2012, ICANN 2011